Japanese Hard Ibaraki Akadama 3-6mm (Small) 14L | TOOG954.
Akadama is a granular volcanic clay-like (although it is not clay) mineral which occurs naturally in Japan. It has been extensively used in Japan for many years as a growing medium for bonsai trees and other container-grown plants. It has many unique qualities, one of which is that when it is wet it has a darker colour so indicates when watering is needed. Akadama is unique as a growing medium and is sought after due to its ability for water retention and nutrients due to its high CEC value. However, at the same time, it provides porosity and free drainage.
- Maintains almost perfect moisture retention for plants & bonsai trees
- Enhances & extends fertilizers efficacy
- Retains nutrients for roots
- Excellent for root aeration
- Promotes (CEC) Cation Exchange Capacity
- Remains structurally stable after long periods – inhibits soil compaction
- Akadama colour darkens when moist & lightens when dry, which helps set water schedules.
Aquascaping & Shrimp:
- Assists in maintaining tank equilibrium and stability.
- Safely buffers pH and keeps it stable for up to 3 years.
- No initial ammonia spike.
- A natural product that does not leach anything into the water.
- Usually FINE or SMALL particle size is used for this application.
- Produces a proliferation of feeder roots system which are able to support highly ramified trees.
- Has good CEC value, providing a steady release of nutrients to the plant.
- Great for rooting all forms of cuttings.
- Often combined with equivalent size pumice to add to structure and drainage.
- Usually FINE akadama only used for small trees. SMALL akadama for medium and large trees with MEDIUM akadama for a drainage layer.
- Promotes exceptional, healthy growth and leaf colour saturation.
- Great for rooting a variety of succulent species.
- Usually FINE or SMALL particle size mixed with equivalent size pumice is used.
- 3 Parts Akadama
- 3 Parts Pumice
- 1 Part Compost/ Pine Bark.